How can I detect waiting characters in a curses application ?

Jay Maynard jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 11 22:29:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec6.201715.5139 at dg-rtp.dg.com> hagins at gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) writes:
>In article <677 at ntpdvp1.UUCP>, samc at ntpdvp1.UUCP (Sam Christie) writes:
>|> Would some kind sole tell me the name of the curses function
>|> which checks for input without blocking ? If none exists, then please
>|> read on and help me create one.
>nodelay(win, bf)
>WINDOW	*win;
>bool	bf;
>When set, this option causes wgetch() to be a non-blocking call.
>If no input is ready, wgetch() returns ERR.  If disabled, wgetch()
>hangs until a key is pressed.

There's only one problem with this: it breaks curses' handling of special
keys that return multiple characters, such as the arrow keys on a VT100.

I'm looking for an answer to this one, too; I'm trying to add arrow key
support to dte (a WordStar-compatible editor), and need this kind of
functionality to make dte's screen handling work.
--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard at thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.