filters

Matthew Farwell dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 12:43:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec4.105612.14422 at dce.ie> ch at dce.ie (Charles Bryant) writes:
>Many cat programs have several options, none of which can really be justified:
>
>	-u (unbuffered). My cat is always unbuffered. dd(1) is for buffering

Sorry, but I find typing 'cat foobar' quite a bit easier than typing
'dd if=foobar of=/dev/tty bs=512'. Strange, I know, but its this little
idiosyncracy of mine.

>	-s (silent).	Just use "cat 2>/dev/null".

Assuming, of course that you're in a shell of some sort.

Dylan.
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
Harrow HA1 4LQ England            | CONNECT - Usenet Access in the UK!!
Phone: +44 81-863-1191            | Sun? Don't they make coffee machines?