how to check mail remotely : Summary

Sh'r'ldana anagram at desire.wright.edu
Wed Dec 5 06:52:50 AEST 1990

> One way is:  'rsh host ls -l /usr/spool/mail/myname'
> This will give you a listing of the directory.  It would be nice to do:
>
> /usr/spool/mail/<username>
> so you can just ftp that file, if it exists, then you not only
> find out about new mail, you can read it.  I do that with

The ftp is not really so good of any idea.  Depending on size and such, it
could take a long time.

Also, the ls is kind of slow.  What I found works better (if supported) is to
use the from command.  In otherwords:

rsh host from

this is almost immediate, instead of relatively slow like the ls, and gives the
added benefit of telling you who the messages are from in case you need to
reply to some specific messages and want to let all others wait.

sh'r