Who's fingering me?

hao zhou haozhou at acsu.buffalo.edu
Mon Oct 1 01:28:13 AEST 1990

In article <JWZ.90Sep29231908 at kolyma.lucid.com> jwz at lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
>In article <1990Sep29.141154.3546 at ibmpcug.co.uk> dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>> In article <38200 at eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> haozhou at acsu.buffalo.edu (hao zhou) writes:
>>>       Is it possible to figure out who have fingered you?
>> You could:-
>
>This only works if the person fingering you is doing so from your machine.
>It is far more interesting to know the identity of someone out on the net
>who is fingering you.  I believe this is impossible, because the finger
>protocol requires no authentication - all you can know is the address of the

That's what I assumed. Thank you for the good explaination.

Another problem with my checkfinger program which was grabbed from the
earlier posting to the question is that the program dies when the
machine crashes and all the information like the counter for counting how
many people have fingered is lost. When the machine is back up, the
checkfinger is still not alive. During this period, the fingerer might
have trouble unless the .plan is unlinked. Also you wouldn't know how
many people finger you until you are logged on and turn on the
checkfinger in the background. Is there anyway to solve this problem?

	-- Hao Zhou
--
Internet:haozhou at acsu.buffalo.edu BITNET:haozhou%acsu.buffalo.edu at UBVM.BITNET
UUCP: uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!haozhou