Why use U* over VMS

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Thu Oct 18 07:18:57 AEST 1990

In article <16438 at shlump.nac.dec.com> heintze at fmcsse.enet.dec.com (Siegfried Heintze) writes:

>So, assuming VAXset is part of the VMS environment, what makes U* better?
>(Feel free to answer in the context of "money is of no concern" as well as
>"money is significant").

	As a pure development environment, none is better than whatever
one you're most familiar with.

	When I did [uck!] some coding on PCs, I used a toolkit that hid
the PC from me by making it look Unix-like. If I do development on VMS,
I'll try to work from within Eunice. Not because one or the other is
inherently *better*, but because Unix is what I know best. [I happen to
have learned Unix in preference to everything else because the way it
works resonates nicely with the way I think] This argument cuts both
ways, of course.

	The big benefit I think a lot of people see in Unix is that it
offers the *potential* for a high degree of portability (inter vendor,
inter platform, inter O/S - sometimes) if due care is taken. This makes
a *BIG* difference if "money is significant" is the answer.

mjr.