How to measure cpu time to ~ 1 millisecond?

Steve Hotz hotz at isi.edu
Tue Oct 2 06:56:20 AEST 1990

Hi.

If you are looking for high resolution timing, send mail to:

	danzig at pollux.usc.edu

To gather data for his dissertation at berkeley, he and another
fellow developed a micro-second resolution timer board that sits in
an empty socket on SUN boxes (if i remember it's the DES chip socket).

I believe they are making the board available for ~$100, sending a
note to the above mailbox should get you details about how to get one.

On some systems you'll also need to get ahold of a set of PALs which
SUN just didn't include for some reason.  I believe they (the timer
folks) include the appropriate PALs for your machine.

They are fairly simply to install, but require kernel modifications
to add system calls to get time stamps from them.  This code is
included in the distribution, as well as some figure about overhead
to call the timer.

xxoo,
	steve