record locking with fcntl on NFS

Dave Decot decot at hpisod2.HP.COM
Fri Oct 5 03:38:44 AEST 1990

> on a NFS mounted filesystem the program will crash with a panic within the
> kernel "Memory address alignment".  I did use the F_RSETLK command

It is because you are using NFS, which is a buggy product.  It was originally
designed in a way that would prevent file locking from being implemented
in any correct fashion.

Anyway, you should complain to the people who sold the system to
your school.  They should be able to tell you why their kernel is
broken.

Dave Decot
(These are not HP's opinions; no warranty is expressed or implied.)