SCCS: vc command, slists, etc.

John Macdonald jmm at eci386.uucp
Tue Oct 30 05:27:10 AEST 1990

In article <1763 at b15.INGR.COM> rob at b15.INGR.COM (Rob Lemley) writes:
|What is the Source Code Control System Utility "vc" used for?
|
|What tools have been developed to create, update and maintain slists.
|How were these slists organized?
|
|What other front-ends and supplementary SCCS software is out there?
|Any Public Domain stuff?

Vc is a macro processor along the lines of cpp or m4.  It is less
likely to expand a macro because an incidental piece of text happens
to contain the macro name, so it is more convenient than cpp or m4
to use on an existing file than you decide that you want to have
multiple versions of.  I have used it in conjunction with sccs
(by hand not using a front-end for this activity) for managing a
legal contract that went through many revisions of the basic (blank)
contract with vc managed variants for "draft" or "official" copies
of a contract, and for "single CPU" vs "site list of CPUs" versions
of the contract.
--
Cure the common code...                      | John Macdonald
...Ban Basic      - Christine Linge          |   jmm at eci386