Human-readable lint libraries

Larry McVoy lm at slovax.Sun.COM
Sun Oct 21 05:45:19 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct19.172042.26917 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> elias at theory.tn.cornell.edu (Doug Elias) writes:
>As the last line of the Sun man-page for "lint" reads:
>  ...it is still useful to produce stripped down lint library
>  source files and to use  them  to generate lint libraries.

Sigh.  Doing it by hand is usually required.  You pick up cproto off of one
of the archives and modify it trivially to produce a 90% solution.  You still
have to pick up things like

int	errno;	/* declare errno because it is an exported global */

and cproto won't help you there.

The other thing you can do is just use the real source.  I discourage this
within Sun because we like to ship the source to the lint libs;
programmers actually grep through them to see which way the args go.
This means that you should say

bcopy(src, dest, len)

not

bcopy(p1, p2, i)

Using cproto usually works for this because the source is usually good
about meaningful names.
---
Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627       ...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com