Questions about rewriting the History function.

Bob Pendleton bpendlet at bambam.UUCP
Fri Oct 26 00:37:22 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Oct21.010205.24695 at cbnewsh.att.com>, by wcs at cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs):
> In article <1990Oct19.165721.7584 at polyof.poly.edu>, roseann at polyof.poly.edu,
> (RoseAnn Ammendolea) (or Marc someone using her account?) writes:
> ] I am working on a senior project to rewrite the history function for UNIX.

> The other good thing about VMS, besides HELP, was command editing.
> It probably only worked for VT100 terminals, but it was there and easy.

I wrote a program called ile (input line editor) a few years ago that
implements VMS style command line and history editing in unix. I then
extended it to give you an emacs like history editing interface.

It works by using a pty/tty pair to wedge itself between the user and
the program you are using. I'll send a copy to anyone who asks.

			Bob P.
--
              Bob Pendleton, speaking only for myself.
   bpendlet at dsd.es.com or  decwrl!esunix!bpendlet or utah-cs!esunix!bpendlet

                      X: Tools, not rules.