Which (C) debugger to use?

Liam R. E. Quin lee at sq.sq.com
Sat Oct 13 16:02:44 AEST 1990

bengsig at oracle.nl (Bjorn Engsig) writes:
> If you have dbx, use that.  The syntax and semantics of sdb are so strangely
> interwoven that it is a pain.  [...]

S'true... although System V 3.2 sdb has a lot more features these days.

I use Saber-C by preference, but it isn't exactly free...
Anything that implements run-time array bounds and malloc- checking is a big
win, at least for me.
Oh, and that detects when you use a variable before setting it.
In the absence of Saber, I either cry [:-)] or use dbx/sdb/adb in that order.
If gdb is around it's worth looking at around the same time as you investigate
dbx.

Other good things include writing a wrapper round malloc() that checks that
youdon't free the same thing twice, etc.... some versions of malloc() will
do that for you if you can persuade them.
Oh, and get to like lint!

Lee

--
Liam R. E. Quin,  lee at sq.com, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, +1 (416) 963-8337