Catch Source Code Errors - Tricks Wanted

Paul Chamberlain tif at doorstop.austin.ibm.com
Fri Oct 19 06:12:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct17.183455.12233 at xavax.com> jat at xavax.com (John Tamplin) writes:
>A tool I have always wanted to build, but have never had (made) time for is
>this:  a version of RCS which canonicalizes (is that a word?) the source as
>it is checked in.  When a user checks out a ocpy of the file, the program
>checks an environment variable or some ~/.xxx file to discover the user's style
>preferences.

It seems like you could build this with the normal RCS and "indent".
As long as the programmer's style can be represented by indent options
you're in luck.  "indent" it in one style and stuff it in RCS.  When
it is checked out, "indent" it in the programmers style.  The only real
work necessary might be a few changes to indent to fit your exact desires.

Anybody done this?  I'm tempted because people around here indent w/spaces.

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT represent IBM.     tif at doorstop, sc30661 at ausvm6
512/838-7008     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif