file magic number

David Messer dave at viper.Lynx.MN.Org
Mon Oct 29 16:34:22 AEST 1990

In article <41719 at eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> haozhou at acsu.buffalo.edu (hao zhou) writes:
 >Can anybody out there tell me how to figure out the file magic number
 >on unix? If possible, can somebody post a piece of sample code?

What do you mean by "the" file magic number?  Each file type
(that uses them) has it's own magic number.  Take a look at
/etc/magic (on SysV) to get some examples.
--
How can you tell if Bush is lying?   | David Messer       dave at Lynx.MN.Org -or-
      Watch his lips...              | Lynx Data Systems  ...!bungia!viper!dave