Why use U* over VMS

Checkpoint Technologies ckp at grebyn.com
Thu Oct 18 09:19:49 AEST 1990

In article <16438 at shlump.nac.dec.com> heintze at fmcsse.enet.dec.com (Siegfried Heintze) writes:
>Having used VMS for many years and being terribly ignorant of the different
>flavors of U* I would like solicit comments from programmers experienced
>in both VMS and U*.
>
>Specifically I would like to know what makes U* a better development
>environment.  (I assume there is someone out there who is certain U*
>is a better development environment.)
>
>So, assuming VAXset is part of the VMS environment, what makes U* better?
>(Feel free to answer in the context of "money is of no concern" as well as
>"money is significant").
>                                                           Sieg

We switched from VMS to Unix for the reason that, these days,
"portability" and "openness" are industry watchwords.  Using VMS ties
you specifically to DEC and whatever direction they choose to take.
Using Unix means that we can abandon a vendor which is not supporting us
adequately, and switch to another (which might not either), in search of
the best available support.  The switch from one vendor's Unix to
another may not be trivial, but it's sure less painful than VMS to
anything else.

Personally, as a programmer I prefer the facilities of VMS, which are
capable if not necessarily convenient; and the VMS manual set which,
if not exactly readable, at least has all the details I have
needed. I can't exactly say the same for Unix. I haven't used the VAXset,
and now I probably never will.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /