how to put a program into .plan file

J. S. B'ach jsb at panix.UUCP
Thu Sep 27 22:04:48 AEST 1990

In article <2782 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
)
)  [ some part deleted ]
)
)The "cool" way to do this is to set up your .plan as a named pipe with
)/etc/mknod.
)
)% /etc/mknod ~/.plan p (Assuming that any existing .plan is not there)
)
)Then you simply write a C program that checks the status of the file,
)to see whether someone (the fingerer) has opened it. Then simply
)write your message to the named pipe. You can do many fancy things with this.

And does this C program run all the time checking?  Or does it sleep
until fingered?  Even in the latter case some system resources are
permanently tied up.  Now (as Emanuel Kant might say) if everyone were
to do this, the entire process table would fill up!
--
    jim (rutgers!cmcl2!panix!jsb,  uunet!jyacc!jsb, or apple!panix!jsb)

    "We have no art.  We sell everything for as much as we can get."