hiding lint's ravings (was Re: FAQ - malloc array - clarify)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Mon Sep 10 09:11:31 AEST 1990

>How do you professionals deal with insignificant(?) ravings from
>lint (or other high quality C program verifiers) such as the
>following:

With "egrep".

>By the way, I got this error while using a Sparc under Sun OS 4.0.3c,
>but not under 4.0.3 (which perplexes me).

I suspect you meant "but not on a Sun-[23] under 4.0.3", not "but not
under 4.0.3".  The key is the SPARC, not the "c"; the SunOS
(BSD-environment) "lint" is little pickier about alignment complaints
when run on a SPARC machine - it does them even if you don't give "lint"
the "-h" option.  (Of course, I always use "-h" anyway, so I don't
notice the difference....)