ATT 3B2/400 System failure

INTERNET : solis@cad.usna.navy.mil m937290 at usna.NAVY.MIL
Sat Sep 29 10:15:40 AEST 1990

I just recently inherited an AT & T 3B2/400 Machine.  However, whenever I
try to boot the machine, I get a failed diagnostics message and another
message right after that that says

SYSTEM FAILURE : CONSULT SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS UTILITIES MANUAL.

or something similar.  Granted, I am no UNIX wizard but I would appreicate
any help that anyone could give me concerning getting this machine working
again.  I have most of the documentation but that is little help because
most of it assumes you can boot the machine.  It mentions something about
typing in the firmware password after you get the DIAGNOSTICS FAILED message
 but I tried that and it doesn't work at all...I still get the same message.

I would appreciate E-mail replies since I don't spend too much time on this
newsgroup.  Please direct replies to m937290 at csvax2.scs.usna.navy.mil.

Rich Solis