What is a "Broken Stack Frame"?

Moellers josef at nixpbe.UUCP
Tue Sep 18 16:15:18 AEST 1990

In <114 at vdbsan.UUCP> brian at vdbsan.UUCP (Brian Bainter) writes:

>Can anyone tell me what the hell a "Broken stack frame" message from the
>debugger is telling me.  I have a program that keeps aborting at odd times
>and when I bring the thing in to the debugger, all I get is a broken stack
>frame message and no idea where or what aborted the program.

Stack frames usually are linked together, so that when the current
function returns, the machine can find the previous frame.
This is done through what is called the "Frame Pointer", a machine
register that points at a fixed place in the current stack frame.
The following is a list of processors and the registers they use as
Frame Pointers:
	80386: BP, 68K: a6, 32K: FP; VAX: FP, PDP-11: r5
Mostly, the (old) Frame Pointer is saved on the stack and the new frame
pointer is set up to point to the old Frame Pointer (the following is
pseudo-code, any resemblance with actual code is ...):
	func:	push FP
		move SP,FP
		sub #nnn,SP
(This code assumes that the Stack Pointer points to the last used
entry).
The format of a stack frame usually is:
		| arguments |
		+-----------+
		|  old  PC  |
		+-----------+
	FP----->|  old  FP  |
		+------------+
		|   locals  |
		+-----------+
		|           |

So much for the introduction.
When a debugger is started, it tries to follow the Frame-Pointer-links
from Stack-Frame to Stack-Frame in order to find the calling sequence
and probably the arguments to the functions/procedures/subroutines.
It starts with the current FP, and the current PC, then locates the
"old PC" which identifies the calling function and via "old FP" that
function's stack frame. this goes on until the debugger finds some
(predefined!) value in "old FP" (usually 0), which identifies the top
stack frame (in C this is often "main"'s stack frame).

If, however, the debugger finds an "old FP" which is e.g. less than the
current one (assuming a stack growth downward from high core), or odd
(in the case of a 68000, 68010, PDP-11), then it will report "Broken
Stack Frame". What usually has happened is, that a function has written
to a local variable which is too small: e.g. a character array which is
too short (Hello, ARPANET worm!!!). This may be the reason for Your
program's misbehaviour.

What I have done once in a case like this is to start with "main", whose
stack frame often is at a predefined address just below the "argc, argv,
envp" trio. Then using the information on how many local variables "main"
allocates find main's callee's stack frame. In that frame I can find the
return address (old PC) which gives me the name of the function called
(unless it is an indirect call, e.g. (*funcp)(a,b,c)), and that
function's Frame pointer which must match "main"'s stack frame, and so on.
This is tedious and requires some knowledege of compiler internals, but
in my case it was the last resort.

Hope this helps,

--
| Josef Moellers		|	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG	|
|  USA: mollers.pad at nixdorf.com	|	Abt. PXD-S14		|