Dynamic Loading

Eric Schnoebelen eric at egsner.cirr.com
Tue Sep 11 14:26:20 AEST 1990

In article <9769 at discus.technion.ac.il>
	devil%techunix.bitnet at lilac.berkeley.edu (Gil Tene) writes:
- In article <HALLETT.90Sep6142725 at enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com>
-		hallettJ at gemed.ge.com writes:
- >
- >	[Wants to link in objects on the fly]
-
- Look up the "-A" option in the ld(1) man page.  [...]
-
- Beware : some unix systems DO NOT have this feature. I am sure it
- works in BSD and SunOS, but I have checked DG/UX on an Aviion
- (as an example), and it has no -A option to ld.

        And some systems use the -A flag for something completely
different.  An example is the ConvexOS loader, which uses -A for a
compiler only type of switch.  ConvexOS is nominally BSD, but the object
format is now a COFF like thing, as opposed the original BSD a.out
format.

        From my other experiences, System V (at least releases 2 and 3+)
don't support ld -A at all.

Eric Schnoebelen		eric at cirr.com		schnoebe at convex.com
    "This is an important announcement.  This is flight 121 to Los Angeles.
    If your travel plans today do not include Los Angeles, now would be a
    perfect time to disembark." - _So_Long_And_Thanks_For_All_The_Fish_