Who's fingering me? (was Re: how to put a program into a .plan file

Matthew Farwell dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
Sun Sep 30 23:26:02 AEST 1990

In article <JWZ.90Sep29231908 at kolyma.lucid.com> jwz at lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:
>In article <1990Sep29.141154.3546 at ibmpcug.co.uk> dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>> In article <38200 at eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> haozhou at acsu.buffalo.edu (hao zhou) writes:
>>> A further question:
>>>       Is it possible to figure out who have fingered you?
>> You could:-
>> 1) Search the process table looking for the keyword 'finger'. All this would
>This only works if the person fingering you is doing so from your machine.

Ok. I admit it. My solutions only work if there is one machine. You're
right that one way to do it would be to hack fingerd. I've got an excuse
in that I haven't got fingerd running on my machine(s).

>> 2) Perhaps a more reliable method would be to go and get the active
>>    inode information from a program like pstat. (On Xenix, the option would
>>    be pstat -i). This gives you the device, the inode number and the uid
>>    of all currently active inodes. Therefore you can work out who is
>>    fingering you.
>I don't follow - are you looking for the user who has your .plan file open?

Yes.

Dylan.
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan at ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
Harrow HA1 4LQ England            | CONNECT - Usenet Access in the UK!!
Phone: +44 81-863-1191            | Sun? Don't they make coffee machines?