Connect Speed

BBS Administration bbs at alchemy.UUCP
Mon Apr 29 06:53:19 AEST 1991

Here's the situation:

PC Clone running SCO Xenix v2.3.2 with a Telebit T2500 attached to a "dumb"
serial card and a fixed data rate between computer and modem set to 19,200
bps.

Here's the problem:

The BBS program we're writing always reports the connect speed to be this
speed (19,200 bps) when appending a caller log file. We need to fix this
speed so that if a user calls in using some kind of compression protocol
we can take advantage of it by sending data to the modem faster than the
connect speed between modems, but at the same time, we'd like to know
what the >actual< speed is between the modems.

Our current method of determining the connect speed is to do an ioctl ()
on the tty and examine the c_cflag element of the termio structure. This
worked in the past when we didn't fix the "baudrate", but no longer works
as we'd like.

Is there a solution that allows the computer<->modem speed to remain locked
at 19,200 but still permits our program to obtain the actual >connect<
speed between our modem and the callers' modem? The solution must be
hardware independent so examining some register of the modem is not a
viable alternative (unless there is some industry standard that places
this information in a consistent location; and even then, "peeking" this
out of the modem would be a project in and of itself).

Please email any suggestion you might have and if there is sufficient
interest in my findings, I'll post a summary. Thanks in advance!

-- John

John Donahue, Senior Partner | UUCP: ucrmath!alchemy!{bbs, gumby} | The Future
  Alchemy Software Designs   | INET: {bbs, gumby}@alchemy.UUCP    | Begins Now