Tools for manipulating message catalogs

Topher Eliot eliot at chutney.rtp.dg.com
Fri Apr 26 23:49:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr21.043742.28994 at alphalpha.com>, nazgul at alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr19.130632.17861 at dg-rtp.dg.com> eliot at dg-rtp.dg.com writes:
|> >Someone sent me some mail with a suggestion that I thought was good.  I was
|> >waiting to see it posted, but I'll go ahead and do it.  The suggestion was
|> >that the input catalog should look like:
|> >
|> >$set 1 BASEMSGS
|> >1	ERRMSG		"Error in application foo:"
|> >2	WARNMSG		"Warning:"
|>
|> Unless I misunderstand you, this is essentially what I do, except that I
|> tried to remain compatible with the standard.  The spec says that anything
|> after "$set n" is a comment, and anything after "$ " is a comment, so
|> I just made comments that begin with "#" special.
|>
|> $set 1 #Foo
|> $ #ErrMsg
|> 1 "Error in application foo:"
|> $ #WarnMsg
|> 2 "Warning"

I have to admit jumping to an unwarranted conclusion.  I'm not sure if I mis-
read your original posting, or what, but I saw "automatic numbering" somewhere,
and immediately what came to mind was a different implementation, which did
not offer what you describe here (i.e. in that implementation, the original
source message files could not contain both a number and a symbol).  So I was
really protesting that earlier design, not yours.  Sorry.

|> Right.  The automatic number I simply do by replacing the initial number
|> with '#', which is the main thing I believe you disagree with.  But it's
|> optional.
I guess it would be fair to say you could use your design in the way that I
think is good, and in a way that I think is dangerous.

--
Topher Eliot                           Data General DG/UX Internationalization
(919) 248-6371        62 T. W. Alexander Dr., Research Triangle Park, NC 27709