bsd rename for sysVr3

Ron Stanonik stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil
Fri Apr 5 11:01:45 AEST 1991

We're trying to port bsd dump/restore to sysVr3.  (Let me know
if that's been done!)  We're looking for a sysVr3 version of the
bsd rename syscall?  We've looked through other code (eg, gnu
emacs, inews, rn, etc) and only found trivial versions that
link(old,new);unlink(old).  We're looking for something that can
cope with directories (ie, relink ..) anywhere in the filesystem
(ie, not just with the same parent), and has some of the sanity
checks of the bsd syscall (eg, ., .., access, etc).  Preferably
something that avoids system("mvdir old new"), since we might
not have mvdir at hand (eg, single user).  Seems like someone
must have already done it (and already caught the mistakes we'd
undoutably make first pass, especially when tinkering with ..), eh?

Thanks,

Ron Stanonik
stanonik at nprdc.navy.mil
ucsd!nprdc!stanonik