What does index() and rindex() do ??

Steve Summit scs at adam.mit.edu
Mon Apr 1 07:54:15 AEST 1991

In article <1311 at appli.se> niklas at appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) writes:
>Is there something like a porting guide for C-programs under Unix?
>This guide would present the differences between all the main variants
>of Unix.  Specifically differences in library functions and ioctl commands
>are interesting.

Portable C Software, by Mark R. Horton, published in 1990 by
Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-868050-7, has much of what you're
looking for.

I have a historical question: can someone tell me when and why
strchr and strrchr were first introduced, replacing the V7 index
and rindex?  I presume it was in PWB or System III or something.
(I'm also curious about the other "new" str routines such as
strcspn, strpbrk, strspn, and strtok; I suspect they appeared at
about the same time.)  Please reply by mail.

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.mit.edu