Unix Stack Frame Questions

Rahul Dhesi dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com
Fri Apr 12 11:46:23 AEST 1991

In <KERS.91Apr8095747 at cdollin.hpl.hp.com> kers at hplb.hpl.hp.com (Chris
Dollin) writes:

>Does calling it a stack frame make it a stack frame? It might be just a record
>in the heap. Whether we call that a ``stack frame'' or not seems to be a matter
>of taste.

A stack frame can be in the heap.  (Some of the other posters would
then call it an activation record.  But it quacks like a stack frame,
so I call it one.)

By the way, a stack can be in the heap too!  In fact in many
environments a process can allocate memory in the heap, then create a
new process whose runtime stack is in that allocated memory.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at cirrus.COM>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi