function tree trace for a.out's ?

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA allbery at NCoast.ORG
Tue Apr 23 10:14:01 AEST 1991

As quoted from <7205 at segue.segue.com> by jim at segue.segue.com (Jim Balter):
+---------------
| In article <1991Apr20.171557.19792 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) writes:
| >If (and only if) you adhere to a one-function-per-source-file scheme, you can
| >do this by treating "U" lines as refs and others as defs.  If you have
| >multiple functions per file, you lose:  you can't localize it by function,
| >only by file.
|
| Nope.  Executables don't contain unresolved references ('"U" lines').
+---------------

I took this as a given.

+---------------
| And in .o's, the unresolved references are bracketed by the function
| definitions and thus the call structure is determinable, and cflow does it.

...as long as you don't play games with it.  I've seen stuff that played
tricks on .s files to move constant static strings into .text, which defeats
this....

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 10m,2m,220,440,1.2
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		       (restricted HF at present)