RCS: convert trunk to branch?

Marion Hakanson hakanson at ogicse.ogi.edu
Wed Apr 3 08:53:44 AEST 1991

Due to poor planning, we have need of a program  to convert a main
RCS trunk to a branch.  In our case, it's fairly simple, although
a more general tool would be useful.  We have:

	1.1

	1.2

	1.3

and we want:

	1.1 - 1.1.1.2 - 1.1.1.3

I figure one can either edit the RCS files directly, munging the
version numbers appropriately, or one could checks things out and back
in again (this could get tricky, as we want to preserve log entries,
dates, authors, etc.).  Looks like the former approach would be
easier, given a good understanding of RCS file format.

Before I write this myself, has someone out there done this already?
Please respond to me directly via email, and I'll summarize here.

Thanks.

Marion Hakanson         Domain: hakanson at cse.ogi.edu
                        UUCP  : {hp-pcd,tektronix}!ogicse!hakanson