termcap str + params -> control seq. How?

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Wed Apr 10 15:36:04 AEST 1991

In article <7068 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> Unfortunately, given that there's no single place that specifies what
> the complete set of valid capabilities (at least for any given OS
> release) are, it's easy for people to add them, ignorant of the fact
> that some programs might accept some *other* name for the same
> capability.  The fact that every Tom, Dick, and Harriet can "add" new
> capabilities to "termcap" isn't an unmixed blessing....

Agreed. The natural solution is to have a special namespace for
experimental or nonstandard capabilities. If it weren't for the
two-character format I'd suggest names starting with X as free.

With such a convention, termcap would resume its rightful place above
terminfo in the hearts and minds of UNIX programmers. [1/2 :-)]

---Dan