Tools for manipulating message catalogs

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Sat Apr 13 05:59:54 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr10.122642.3991 at dg-rtp.dg.com> eliot at dg-rtp.dg.com writes:
> Some people may point out that using symbolic identifiers for messages allows
> a reader of the source code to figure out easily what the message is, rather
> than having to flip back and forth through a message catalog.

It also lets him more easily verify that the right message is being generated
at each point.

> Have I made my point clear?  Would anyone care to point out flaws in my logic?
> Does anyone still think that a tool to create a .h file out of a message
> catalog is useful?

Sure, as long as it's only run on the master message catalog that's kept
in the programmer's native language, and that new messages are only added
at the end. Translations are done on processed copies with fixed message
numbers.

It's a tool. Like any, it can be abused. That doesn't mean it's not useful.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com