HP-UX syslog problem

Paul Durham durham at mpr.ca
Mon Apr 8 14:48:42 AEST 1991

I am getting a strange problem with syslog. When trying to log a local*.emerg
message, it gets skipped if the local# is even. The syslog.conf looks like
this:

#
# syslogd configuration file.
#
# See syslogd(1M) for information about the format of this file.
#
*.info		/usr/adm/syslog
#*.alert		/dev/console
*.info		/dev/console
*.alert		root
*.emerg		*
local0.debug	/usr/local0.log
local1.debug	/usr/local1.log
local2.debug	/usr/local2.log
local4.debug	/usr/local4.log
local7.debug	/usr/local7.log

For example, if I try to log something at level local2.emerg, it goes to
the syslog, console, root, and * but _not_ to /usr/local2.log (this is
confirmed by the syslogd -d trace). Any other level logs to /usr/local2.log.
No problem with local1,7.

If you have run into this, please let me in on the cure (if any).

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Durham         | MPR Teltech Ltd | durham at mprgate.mpr.ca
Phone: 604-293-6035 | 8999 Nelson Way | uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!durham
Facs : 604-294-1471 | Burnaby, B.C.   |
                    | V5A 4B5         |