methods for putting labels into your software?

User iris at interet.UUCP
Fri Jun 28 00:25:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun26.165609.9692 at athena.mit.edu> mlevin at jade.tufts.edu writes:

>   I'd like to hear suggestions, or any tricks that the pros out there
>know about, for putting some kind of text label or code into your
>executable (compiled and linked from C code) so that if anyone were to
>copy a part of the code, you could know it was a copy by somehow
>seeking out that label.

For obvious reasons, I won't tell you EXACTLY what we do but it amounts
to something like this:

static short copyright_stamp[] =

CONSTANT1,    /* a few starting fixed bytes to search for */
CONSTANT2,
CONSTANT3,
CONSTANT4,
'T' * CONSTANT5,
'h' * CONSTANT6,
'i' * CONSTANT7,
's' * CONSTANT8,
' ' * CONSTANT9,
'i' * CONSTANT11,
's' * CONSTANT12,
' ' * CONSTANT13,
'm' * CONSTANT14,
'i' * CONSTANT15,
'n' * CONSTANT16,
'e' * CONSTANT17,
'!' * CONSTANT18,
0;

Make sure whatever operation you perform on the individual characters
is reversible.
Iris Engelson                          uunet!iris at interet
Director of Software Development       Tel: 201-763-1200
Interet                                Fax: 201-763-5120
111 Dunnell Road
Maplewood, NJ 07040