Makefile woes

Ed McGuire emcguire at ccad.uiowa.edu
Sat Jun 1 00:49:48 AEST 1991

In article <DOWDING.91May29155056 at palm.ai.sri.com> dowding at ai.sri.com (John Dowding) writes:

>Now, when they do a make to test their changes, I want the Makefile
>to prefer a local copy over the copy in the default directory,
>otherwise to use the default file if no local copy exists.
>
>I am running Sun Unix 4.1.1.

Some versions of make(1) support the VPATH macro.  VPATH specifies
a list of directories which make(1) should search for dependency
files, if the dependency is not located in the current working
directory.

SunOS 4.0 does not have VPATH.  I can't say whether 4.1 does.  But
GNU Make has VPATH.  You might consider installing that as your
default make.
--
peace.  -- Ed
"Over here, Bones!  This man's dying!"