methods for putting labels into your software?

James A. Mullens mullens at jamsun.ic.ornl.gov
Thu Jun 27 05:23:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun26.165609.9692 at athena.mit.edu>, mlevin at jade.tufts.edu writes:

|>    I'd like to hear suggestions, or any tricks that the pros out there
|> know about, for putting some kind of text label or code into your
|> executable (compiled and linked from C code) so that if anyone were to
|> copy a part of the code, you could know it was a copy by somehow
|> seeking out that label. For example, I guess you could probably define
|> a static string in your C program which contained a code word, and
|> then you could know if a given program was copied from yours by
|> doing "strings a.out | grep keyword" or something.  I am looking for
|> ideas that are less obvious to detect - a method such that someone
|> copying the code wasn't likely to notice and edit out (with a patch or
|> something). Any ideas would be appreciated.
|>
|> Mike Levin

How about a static long int initialized to your social security
number?  To make finding it in a binary file easier you might
declare a struct with 2 or 3 such unique numbers, but I think most
people's social security number would be unique enough by itself.

--
jim mullens
oak ridge national laboratory