More questions on sockets

der Mouse mouse at thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
Sun Jun 23 02:18:02 AEST 1991

In article <14446 at dog.ee.lbl.gov>, torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:

> One simple solution is to use a different port each time, along the
> lines of the Sun RPC `port mapper'.  A single meta-server keeps track
> of all active services.  To establish a service, you contact the port
> mapper and say `I want to offer a service'.  It gives you a port
> number.

Uh, Chris, the portmapper I know has the client obtain the port number
(typically by binding to port 0 and then doing getsockname() to find
out what port was actually bound to, but there are exceptions, eg NFS)
and then tell it to the portmapper.  Not the portmapper choosing a port
and telling the client to use it.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu