How do I tell if STDIN is a PIPE?

Dave Eisen dkeisen at leland.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jun 4 03:51:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun3.150851.21915 at prl.dec.com> boyd at prl.dec.com (Boyd Roberts) writes:
>You don't test for anything that way.  This:
>
>    if ((sb.st_mode & S_IFMT) == S_IFIFO)
>
>is the way it's done (unless you have those gory POSIX macros).  But,

Of course, it is (my brain slipped when I was typing and I wrote S_IFREG in
place of S_IFMT). That still doesn't change the point of my posting ---
on this machine (running ULTRIX 4.1), sb.stmode & S_IFMT is 0 for a pipe.

--
Dave Eisen                           dkeisen at leland.Stanford.EDU
1101 San Antonio Road, Suite 102