shared libraries, when to use them

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Fri Jun 21 09:58:32 AEST 1991

>> (1) The application is going to be installed on the workstation root,
>> and will need to be able to run even when the filesystems with the
>> shared libraries in them are not mounted, or are inaccessible (e.g.
>> you're using a diskless workstation and the network suddenly goes
>> down);
>
>Uh, if the network goes down on a diskless you generally can't even get
>your executable off disk to run it at all.

Bad example, but there *are* good examples:

	auspex% file /sbin/*
	/sbin/config:   sparc demand paged dynamically linked executable
	/sbin/hostname: sparc demand paged executable
	/sbin/ifconfig: sparc demand paged executable
	/sbin/init:     sparc demand paged executable
	/sbin/mount:    sparc demand paged executable
	/sbin/sh:       sparc demand paged executable

All but "config" (no, I don't know why "config" is there; yes, it's just
"/usr/etc/config", and no, it's not a symlink) have to be able to run
when the filesystems with shared libraries in them aren't mounted.