data-compression in a pipe

Andy Crump andyc at bucky.intel.com
Thu Jun 27 18:06:38 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 25 Jun 91 12:36:26 GMT, km11hs at sbuvax.rz.uni-sb.de (Dieter Becker) said:

Dieter> I am looking for a text-compression program, which works in a pipe
Dieter> I want to use this in a shell-script like:
Dieter>     tar cvf - xyz | "*compression*" | rcp xxxx
Dieter> Do You know a PD-source / program?
Dieter> Thanks
Dieter> Dieter Becker
Dieter> ********************************************************************************
Dieter> * Dr. med. dipl.-math Dieter Becker          ** Tel.: (0 / +49) 6841 - 16 3046 *
Dieter> * Medizinische Universitaets- und Poliklinik ** Fax.: (0 / +49) 6841 - 16 3369 *
Dieter> * Innere Medizin III                         ***********************************
Dieter> * D - 6650 Homburg / Saar                    ** email:                         *
Dieter> *                                            ** becker at sbuvax.cs.uni-sb.de     *
Dieter> ********************************************************************************

Yes, compress can do that.  Compress can be found on the net, in fact
compress 4.1 was just posted to alt.sources a couple of days ago.  If
you need me to send it to you just let me know.

tar cvf - xyz | compress - | rcp xxx

will work
--

    -- Andy Crump

    ...!tektronix!reed!littlei!andyc | andyc at littlei.intel.com
    ...!uunet!littlei!andyc          | andyc at littlei.uu.net

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed here are my own and
            not representive of Intel Corportation.