shared libraries, when to use them (Really OSF/1 Program Loader)

Ian Kemmish uad1077 at dircon.co.uk
Sun Jun 23 23:30:29 AEST 1991

fkittred at bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) writes:

>In article <8448 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>
>> >You can't, because SunOS doesn't have shared libraries.  (What it does
>> >have is shared object files.  What's the difference?  You can link in
>> >part of a library without linking in the rest, among other things.)
>>
>>Just out of curiosity, who *has* implemented shared libraries?
>>("Multics" is, unless I misremember, not the correct answer.)

>In the Proceedings of this year's Winter Usenix, the OSF people presented
>a paper called "The OSF/1 Program Loader".  I have been playing with
>the same, and it seems to satisfy the requirements for real shared libraries.

>In the OSF/1 module, you build libraries to explictly export one or
>more "packages". At run time, you load the "packages" you need from the
>libraries.

>check it out...

>regards,
>fletcher
>Fletcher Kittredge
>BBN Software Products
>150 CambridgePark Dr,  Cambridge, MA. 02140
>617-873-3465  /  fkittred at bbn.com  /  fkittred at das.harvard.edu
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Sorry to all concerned but I just couldn't resist this...

Since a truly shared library presumably takes up more memory than
a shared object (well, for probgrams which use most or all of the
library anyway), this sounds just the ticket for programs which
need to call on Motif....  sounds like OSF is going to be an even
better way to sell disc and memory than APL was in the 70's

--
Ian D. Kemmish                    Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close                   uad1077 at dircon.UUCP
Beds SG18 8HZ United Kingdom    uad1077 at dircon.co.uk