shared libraries, when to use them

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jun 22 01:54:41 AEST 1991

In article <8448 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

> >You can't, because SunOS doesn't have shared libraries.  (What it does
> >have is shared object files.  What's the difference?  You can link in
> >part of a library without linking in the rest, among other things.)
>
>Just out of curiosity, who *has* implemented shared libraries?
>("Multics" is, unless I misremember, not the correct answer.)

This sounds like a semantics debate.  A library is a set of object files.
A *shared* library is a set of *shared* object files, maybe?

So, if I understand SunOS and its shared libraries (and it's possible
I don't.)  The shared libraries are created with the link editor, and
one monolithic binary "library" is created.  Later, at run-time, if a
reference to one symbol in a SunOS shared library causes the whole image
to be loaded into memory (unused sections may be paged out later) then
perhaps Sun has a poor implementation?

Two questions come to mind, one easy, one hard:

How do SV.[34] shared libraries differ from SunOS shared libraries?

What is the "correct" way to implement X Widget libraries, specifically,
should the class record be in the libXaw.sa.4.2 part of the shared library?

Kaleb Keithley                               kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

No flashy sig. No clever quips. No famous quotes. This space for rent.