using signal to (portably) wake up a select call

Dave Bakken bakken at cs.arizona.edu
Sat May 4 08:47:50 AEST 1991

Is there a way to portably use signal (or something else) to
wake up a select call?  And can anyone tell me what the
execptfds fields are (do they map to signal numbers? drool, drool!)
In our application we just need to wake up the select call, but can't
afford to lose an IPC "poke," so if there is not sure way to avoid
this with signals (which seems to be the case, so far as I can ascertain)
then we will have to find something else.  Thanks for any help---the
manual pages are lacking, and the Advanced Unix Programming book I
have is old!
Dave Bakken                     Internet: bakken at cs.arizona.edu
Dept. of Comp. Sci.; U.of Ariz. UUCP:     uunet!arizona!bakken
Tucson, AZ 85721; USA           Bitnet:   bakken%cs.arizona.edu at Arizrvax
AT&T: +1 602 621 4089           FAX:      +1 602 621 4246