Does SCCS allow you to "un-delta" a version???

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Tue May 28 07:23:20 AEST 1991

In article <2285 at twg.bc.ca> bill at twg.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
>I am just getting acquainted with the SCCS system commands and
>have found that sometimes you can think a modification is
>complete and delta it, only to discover later that there are
>still some bugs in it.  Is it possible to Get the most current
>version back, make some changes, then delta the same version
>number again?

Do a "get -k s.<file>" to get the file back out in edittable form
(writeable, and keywords unexpanded), and then do a "rmdel -rA.B s.<file>",
where "A.B" was what the "get -k" reported the revision to be.
This will remove the delta you just applied.  Then, to get the SCCS
file ready for the delta after you've fixed it, do a:
	get -e -p s.<file> > /dev/null
(which gets out the previous version for editting, but throws it away)

Then you can change <file> and delta it again - it will end up with the
same revision level as the original delta that you buggered up.

If the mistakes were made in the lines that I had altered in the
delta, I just chmod 644 the s.<file>, edit it, then "admin -z s.<file>"
(to fix the checksum) and then chmod 444 s.<file>.  This is dangerous
(of course), and should only be done on the lines that were *added*
by the delta that was buggered up, otherwise you lose historical
tracking and/or SCCS header validity.
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: ...!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis; Ferret Mailing List:
ferret-request at eci386; Psroff (not Adobe Transcript) enquiries:
psroff-request at eci386 or Canada 416-832-0541.  Psroff 3.0 in c.s.u soon!