Problems porting login

Jeff Leyser jeffl at NCoast.ORG
Thu May 16 00:04:24 AEST 1991

While trying to port a version of login I got from the archives from osu-cis
onto our Motorola Delta 8000 68030-based SysVr3 machine, I've run into a
major brick wall.

The login program works like a champ, except when called by rlogin!  When
rlogin calls login, the program comes to a screeching halt when it attempts a
gets() to get the password.  From what I can see, the gets() never returns.
I've tried everything I can think of -- don't call ioctl() to disable echo
before the gets(), use fgets() through both stdin and /dev/tty instead of
gets, and all have had the same result - nothing!  A little investigation
reveals my one and only clue -- rlogin calls 'login -r hostname', but I can't
find any documentation on what the -r is supposed to do.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!
--
Jeff Leyser                                     jeffl at NCoast.ORG