Books on portability between Unixes?

Nick Jacobs - EOS njacobs at kong.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue May 21 03:48:03 AEST 1991

In article <1991May9.181650.12516 at homecare.COM> jessea at homecare.COM (Jesse W. Asher) writes:
>I'd like to write some software that is very portable between different
>types of Unix.  I'm not just talking about BSD vs. SystemV, but also how
    [...etc]

Get the XPG manuals from X/Open. Use them as programmer's reference
manuals.
The X/Open standards are somewhat similar in intent to Posix, but
the Posix standard is not really useful because it is too small
a subset of Unix. Whereas X/Open is a pretty big subset.
If your Unix vendor plans to be still around in a couple of years,
he/she/it fully supports the X/Open standard.

>  Jesse W. Asher

Nick Jacobs