sscanf always generates error condition

Geraldo Veiga ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu
Sat May 4 06:28:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991May3.095541.21439 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  There are quite a few system calls in the kernel that set errno to a value,
>then try the operation which would cause that error value if it failed, and
>then return immediately it it fails, signalling an error.  They're allowed to
>do that.

This seems to be the final word on this question.  From now on I'll have
two separate error handling routines:

syserr(message)  invoked only when a system call returns an
	error condition.  This function prints "message", calls perror()
	and exits.

usrerr(message)  invoked for non-system errors, same as above without
	the call to perror().

Thanks for everybody's help.