Lint woes

Blair P. Houghton bhoughto at pima.intel.com
Fri May 24 12:45:43 AEST 1991

In article <7992 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>Most, if not all, "lint"s are basically modified versions of C
>compilers, and most, if not all, haven't been sufficiently modified that
>they can catch that problem.

Most, if not all, are hardly being modified at all, any more.

I'm relegated on several machines to trusting the compiler
warnings, since the compilers have been ANSIfied, but lint(1)
is left in its previous state...

gcc -Wall -<whatever> does a pretty good job, but the gnu
library's so screwy I can't trust gcc as a *compiler*...

(One for you trivia buffs:  the oldest file in the gcc-1.39
source code is alloca.c, dated October 16, 1986 (think about it;
gnu code nobody's altered in 5.5 *years*).  For two points and
a skip to the loo, name its author).

				--Blair
				  "Who said it?  What episode?"