ualarm doesn't always start

Brian H. Powell brian at natinst.com
Sat May 25 01:50:42 AEST 1991

     This is on a SPARCstation 2, running SunOS 4.1.1B.  This behavior happens
with two different C compilers.

     I've got a program which installs a signal handler for SIGALRM, then
calls
	ualarm(55000, 55000);
which is supposed to send an ALRM signal in 55000 microseconds, and keep
sending them every 55000 microseconds after that.
     The first two times I run the program after compiling it, the ualarm
doesn't work; I don't get a SIGALRM.  (I can send it by hand, so I know
my handler is installed.)
     The third and subsequent times I run the program, it seems to function
normally.  (Until I recompile.)
     What am I doing wrong?

     Please respond by email.  I'll summarize if there's any interest.

Brian H. Powell, M/S 56-14			National Instruments Corp.
	brian at natinst.com			6504 Bridge Point Parkway
	uunet!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!brian	Austin, Texas 78730-5039
	AppleLink:NATINST			(512) 338-9119