Extracting documentation from C code.

Glenn Host ghost at nrl-cmf.UUCP
Thu May 16 22:06:12 AEST 1991

In article <BENNY.91May15185447 at dimona.vlss.amdahl.com> benny at vlss.amdahl.com
	(Benny Schnaider) writes:
>I am looking for a utility to extract documentation from a "C"
>program. I want to have the documentation source as part of the "C" code
>(comments) which can be easily extracted in a troff (man page)
>format. The output should be similar to man 3 output format.

As far as I know there is no such generic utility.  Two years ago I had
to write such a package to translate C-documentation into text for transfer
to a Mac for processing.  Before I wrote it, we looked for such a utility
but were unsucessful.

It is actually easy to write such a utility IF you write before you start
writing the code - otherwise you send almost as much time modifying the
original documents as you would typing them again.

Good Luck

--
Glenn Host - Senior Systems Analyst (ghost at ra.nrl.navy.mil)
NRL Code 5800, 4555 Overlook Ave.; Washington, DC 20375   (202) 767-2046