Books on portibility between Unixes?

Bill Campbell bill at camco.Celestial.COM
Sun May 12 11:41:34 AEST 1991

In <1991May9.181650.12516 at homecare.COM> jessea at homecare.COM (Jesse W. Asher) writes:

:I'd like to write some software that is very portable between different
:types of Unix.  I'm not just talking about BSD vs. SystemV, but also how
:different system's compilers handle various functions differently.  I've
:written a program that I've compiled on a 386 running SysV, an NCR tower
:running SysV, and a SparcStation running SunOS, and I had to make
:modifications all three times.  So first, I'd like to find out what
:functions are most portable, and then find out how to use directives
:(ifdef, ifndef, etc) to make the software as portable as possible.  I'd
:like to take the tact that I want to eventually post this software to
:the net, but I don't know how to make it as portable as possible.  I've
:looked at various programs already posted on the net (Cnews, elm, etc)
:and that has given me ideas.  But does anyone know of a good publication
:on this type of programming?

Two books I've found very useful are:
	Portable C & Unix System Programming by J.E. Lapin
	Prentice-Hall Software Series ISBN 0-13-686494-5

	Reliable Data Structures in C by Thomas Plum
	Plum Hall ISBN 0-911537-04-X
--
INTERNET:  bill at Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way