Are there systems where strcpy doesn't return a value?

Arthur David Olson ado at elsie.UUCP
Thu Dec 25 05:22:29 AEST 1986

On our MORE/bsd 4.3 system, if I use "lint -p" on these lines:
	#include "stdio.h"

	extern char *	strcpy();

	main()
	{
		char	buf[20];

		return strcpy(buf, "Hello, world.\n") != buf;
	}
I get this output:
	strcpy value is used, but none returned

On System V-based systems, no such warning is produced.

My question: Is BSD right, or is System V right?  Are there systems on which
strcpy does not return a value?

Please mail replies to me, rather than posting an article to this news group.
Thanks.
--
UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.