rlogin won't login on uVAX Ultrix 1.2

Israel Pinkas pinkas at mipos3.UUCP
Thu Dec 18 08:33:34 AEST 1986

In article <2974 at pogo.UUCP> richk at pogo.UUCP (Richard G. Knowles) writes:
>When I 'rlogin' to my Ultrix V1.2 machine (VAXStation II/GPX) I can't get a
>complete connection.  What happens is I get the 'last login ...' message,
>the 'motd' and then the connection closes! My .cshrc is not executed.  An
>interesting feature of this is that when the connection closes, a login
>prompt appears on the console of the machine.  The failure occurs even when
>an 'rlogin' is attempted to the machine itself (even with the ethernet
>connection pulled).  All other network commands work correctly (rsh,
>ruptime, rwho ..).

I suspect that the problem is caused in your .login file which is not read
by rsh.  (ruptime and rwho do not need to create shells so they should
always work.)  I suspect you are doing something like tryint to redirect
console I/O and this is failing.

-Israel
UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%mipos3.intel.com at relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas%mipos3.intel.com